Wednesday, April 28, 2010

To Music or Not to Music?

I have always relied on music to work out. I've heard some of the arguments against it, such as without music, I'll be able to better focus on my body and my breathing. Except I don't want that focus on how much it hurts, I want - need - the distraction from music. My reliance on music is to the point that three times I've gotten to the Y and realized my iPod was dead. Rather than exercise without it, I went home long enough to charge it, then drove back.

I used to have a collection of approximately 100 songs lumped together in my cardio playlist that I played at random, but I've started sorting them into the ultimate 4-hour cardio playlist. I listen to the same songs, in the same order every time I exercise. The continuity helps. I like the predicability of knowing exactly what is coming next.

I read a story in Men's Health (way better than Women's Health!) that recommended setting up a playlist by starting with a moderate beat per minute, then gradually increasing. They found that doing so enabled athletes to go longer than if starting with a super high bpm. Following this, my first ten minutes are a pretty moderate bpm, plus the first song is just darn funny.

So here is hour 1:

1. Kiss Me I'm #!@*Faced - Dropkick Murphys
2. For Those about to Rock - AC/DC
3. Something in Your Mouth - Nickelback
4. Good Vibrations - Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch
5. Hate - Drowning Pool
6. Bad Girlfriend - Theory of a Deadman
7. I Love Myself Today - Bif Naked
8. Burn it to the Ground - Nickelback
9. Bodies - Drowning Pool
10. Thunderstruck - AC/DC
11. The Night - Disturbed
12. Don't Stop the Music - Rihanna
13. Whiskey Hangover - Godsmack
14. Girls - Beastie Boys
15. What's my Age Again? - Blink-182
16. Cryin' Like a Bitch!! - Godsmack
17. Skinhead on the MBTA - Dropkick Murphys

Something that always amuses me is my choice of music. If given just the playlist (and not the fuchsia iPod), I would assume it was the music of a 17 year old boy. What can I say? I like angry music when I'm working out and there's nothing wrong with that!

1 comment:

  1. Those are some interesting choices of music.

    ReplyDelete