Thursday, April 15, 2010

Why am I running a marathon? Where is the sanity in this decision?

I'm not a runner. I don't enjoy it and when people talk about a "runner's high" I have no idea what they're talking about. I have yet to experience this sensation even once.

Yet I'm training for a marathon. When I tell people I'm training (accountability leads to dedication), they invariably ask if it's my first one. I think the real question, though is "Why?" What would possess an otherwise rational person to run 26.2 miles for fun? Especially someone who readily admits she doesn't enjoy running?

The standard answer is that it's #5 on my bucket list. Most people accept this as the answer, but I've been asked why a healthy 30-year old has a bucket list. I've always been a list maker and seeing things written out on paper makes me more likely to accomplish them. For years I've had ideas of things I want to do "someday," but I finally decided that someday starts this year and I wrote out what I want to accomplish in 2010, in ten years, and in my lifetime. The marathon isn't something I want to do when I'm in my 80s so I'm doing it now, following an 11-month training program. For sake of comparison, most people train for six months.

I love reading your comments and thank you for your kind words and advice. If you want a response, please email me and I'll get back to you.

Cheers

1 comment:

  1. Hi Michelle,

    I wish you the best on this courageous endeavor!

    Khalil

    ReplyDelete