Wednesday, May 26, 2010

85 degrees? No sweat!

How did it get to 85 degrees overnight? More than half of my outdoor running has been in a hooded sweatshirt and gloves so this heat wave was a major surprise. I thought I'd be gradually easing into hot weather running, not making an immediate switch.

Last Thursday I planned to do my first 4-mile run in the heat. I thought mind over matter would solve everything. I made it to 1.6 miles when my brain got lazy and said that was enough. Monday was even hotter so I compromised by going back to the Y. Even though it's air conditioned, it's still in the upper 70s and the glass wall lets in sunlight and heat. There is also no breeze, so it was a good compromise. The first 1.5 miles were great, the next I thought I was going to throw up at every turn. Once this feeling subsided (and my lunch stayed in place...) the last bit was great.

That wasn't enough acclimating though, so I went to the park and walked in the heat, just getting used to the weather. That night, however, I took out the trash and discovered it was cool enough to run outside. I know it won't stay cool at night all summer and I'll have to start running with the sunrise, but I'm not ready for that quite yet. Let me baby step my way into it.

1 comment:

  1. I hear ya! I barely made it through my 4 mile run in the 87 degree heat on Wednesday! Time to get the body used to running in the morning and late evening again :)

    Looking forward to following your posts. I'm training for my first full marathon at Detroit too!!

    ReplyDelete