Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Stepping Outside

This is an easy training week (3, 4, 3, 4 miles) so I had to make the change to outside running. No more excuses. After eating a stack of Oreos (the breakfast of champions) I went to Lincoln Park's Council Point Park for a transition to outside running. I love the continuity of lap running and they have three different tracks: .4 miles, .55 miles and .75 miles. The surface is blacktop so I had the comfort of doing laps combined with the surface training I need.

I thought I would go slower without the constant time feedback but I actually went slightly quicker (I shaved off 31 seconds from my normal 3 mile pace). It was windy and I always seemed to be running into the wind. I also always seemed to be continually running uphill. Why did I never go downhill? Ah well, I need to learn a little about running hills for crossing the Ambassador Bridge (the coolest part of the marathon) and the tunnel (the worst).

My knees felt fine, my right hip is occasionally sore but that was fine today too. My breathing was fine. All in all it was a pretty smooth transition. Let's hope it's always this easy!

It was 75, sunny and a moderate breeze. Can I bottle this weather? If it's always this nice I can't complain too much!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Michelle! I saw your blog on the Free Press Marathon's. Good for you! I'm planning on running the full marathon this year, my first. I'm going for a FINISH not really any kinda time. What about you?
    Good luck with your training!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Michelle!

    We all can finish this together. i already added your blog to a blogroll that i have so i can read when i need the inspriation! I'm glad you got to go outside today before it rains (which where i'm at in detroit, its about to down pour)..i was able to get out today too and run just about 5 miles. it was real hott, but i got through it. somedays are good and some are not, so i'm happy you had a good day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Michelle,
    I saw your blog post on the Marathon's Facebook page and just read some of your posts. I, too, was a marathon newbie last year when I ran Detroit, and I absolutely identify with this "bucket list" item. I added you to the blogs I follow (hopefully you don't mind) and look forward to reading about your journey. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congrats on making it outside!!
    When I started running two years ago (using the Couch to 5k as well!)I had a love affair with the treadmill. Once I finally worked up the nerve to take my runs to the road I haven't looked back. I will run in any weather rather than hop on the dreadmill.
    Looking forward to reading about your journey to the freep!!

    ReplyDelete