Friday, May 14, 2010

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice

I've realized that running a marathon is a decision I have to make several times a week. It's a goal I need to recommit to almost every day. It's pretty rare that I wake up and think "I am not going to do any exercise today!" This happens almost every Sunday, but otherwise I just don't get around to running unless I make it the priority from the time I wake up.

By choosing to not make a decision, however, I have decided to not run or do anything to advance the marathon training. It's so much easier to watch the Tigers game or take a nap or do laundry. Some days I'd rather clean the bathroom than run. Yet if I want to cross the finish line in October, I need to decide affirmatively more often, not have the notion that I'll run "after the Tigers game..., after work..., after I do the laundry." Once I start, inertia keeps me going but getting into my gym clothes and on my feet is the absolute hardest part.

Starting training is new and exciting, showing up at the starting line will be exciting, but this in between is a grind. To be perfectly honest, it's boring. I don't regard running as fun, I see it as the means to the end of losing and keeping off weight. Let me remind myself of a quote from Jillian Michaels: "It's a commitment you have to renew every single day. But the payoff is worth it." Tomorrow is another day, another chance to start over, another chance to log another five miles. I can't waste that chance!

1 comment:

  1. I love reading your blogs, I am running my first 1/2 marathon in Detroit this year. I am sitting here, reading today's blog with my running shoes on and still not motivated, and i only have to do 3 miles today.... I know i should just step away from the computer... good God help me!!!!

    ReplyDelete