Monday, June 28, 2010

Cheating my way to 7

I had to take a class on Sunday, the same day I was scheduled to run 7 miles. Wow that sounds like a lot, doesn't it? I had two choices - get to class super early and run beforehand, or wait until after and run instead of eating dinner. I decided to get it over with early, even though it was in the 85 degree vicinity and humid! So I ran inside again. Yes it's cheating, but I think it's ok here and again as long as I don't make it every time.

How was running 7 miles? Predictably awful. The furthest I've run in my entire life is 6.2 miles so jumping to 7 was pretty considerable, especially given that I seriously slacked last week and only managed 3 miles the entire week...

I got out the iPod, donned my favorite pink shirt and started out. I knew I was going pretty slow but finishing was much more crucial than any time. Around 6.2 miles my legs felt like lead and I thought I was going to throw up all over the track. So I walked it out for a few minutes and drank a little cold water. Then at 6.5 miles, my legs refused to budge one more step so I sat down right on the track and took a 4-minute break. Got up again and finished. I didn't finish strong, but I finished, which was all that mattered.

The total time was 1:19:03. Slow, but a good starting point to improve on for next Sunday when I do another 7 miler.

The last time I ran 6, I felt awful afterward and curled up on the couch, thinking "If I lay still long enough, eventually I'll fall asleep." This time, I didn't have the luxury of time but I didn't need it. Which is not to say I felt great - my hips were a little sore later that night, but I remained coherent enough to drag myself to class.

I need to share my history on the track team to explain what an enormous accomplishment it is for me to run 7 miles, to run 77 minutes. Soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment