Wednesday, June 2, 2010

"It's not the heat, it's the humidity..."

We've all heard it. We've all said it. It's generally both the heat and the humidity, but today was all humidity. The temperature was a cool 73 so I put on long pants, not thinking about the humidity at a scorching 85 percent. Ach I was sweating before I even began.

28 minutes later I was done and realized my upper lip sweats. Gross! Yet still better than yesterday when sweat dripped off my forehead, mixed with sunblock and streamed into my burning eyes.

Yesterday and today both I did three miles. Yesterday's time was 28:13, today was 28:14. Ultimately the time doesn't matter so much as the distance, yet I do try to go faster each time or at least stay the same speed. Why drag it out when I can finish it quickly? Besides doing the math keeps my mind busy and therefore not thinking of the task at hand.

The temperature was great, the wind was great, but I can do without the humidity. It was a good run today and even better, I completed the entire run and cooled off before the rain (and therefore saved my shoes from the mud).

4 comments:

  1. DOH! Don't put sunscreen above your eyes. Wear a visor or hat or bandanna to cover your forehead.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it seems pretty obvious now, yet I don't want a horizontal tan line across my forehead either.
    These are the details I have to figure out...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, try running in the Arizona heat. I'm doing my first marathon as well and have to train in the Arizona heat. Drink a lot of water.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck Patty! Eat pretzels or nuts or something salty before you run so you retain some fluid.

    ReplyDelete