Sunday, June 6, 2010

Must...Eat...

This afternoon was lousy for a summer weekend, but with a temperature in the mid-60s and a reasonable humidity and full cloud cover, it was a wannabe runner's perfect environment. I went to church in the morning, then knowing I was scheduled to do 5 miles, I wanted to finish it off before the rain came in and before the Tigers game started. Waiting until after the game was an option too, but it made much more sense to get it over with and not have it hanging over my head.

It felt relatively cool but I knew I'd be sweating so I grabbed shorts and a tank and set off for my five mile jaunt. I've done the distance a handful of times but today felt really difficult. I had water available but that did little to alleviate the cramp in my right side that made itself felt within the first mile. Nevertheless I grabbed a sip every .75 miles and kept chugging along. I felt awful and my per lap speed was equally awful but when it was all said and done, I finished the five miles in 49 minutes and change, the fastest I've finished the distance.

When I got home I entered it into The Daily Plate to revel in how many calories I had just burnt (836 baby!). Just for kicks I entered everything I had eaten and discovered that I forced myself to run five miles on fewer than 300 calories! It's not that I was deliberately withholding calories or food. I don't like to run on a full stomach, but it was more that I just wasn't hungry this morning. Yet I know that calories are fuel and energy, both of which my body desperately needs to get through the (relatively) longer runs. No wonder I was cramping in my side and had to drag myself through it. Note to self - eat more when you run more! Take care of this body and it will take care of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment