Monday, July 5, 2010

7 miles redux

On Monday I had another all day class. They gave us a several hour break at lunch which coincided with a temperature fluctuating between 90 and 92 degrees. Naturally this was the only time I had to run 7 miles. I didn't wake up early enough to go in the morning and I knew if I waited until after dinner, by the time I digested, it would be too late. So it was run in the excruciating heat or not at all.

i'm not stupid so yes, I went back indoors, but unlike my last attempt at 7 miles where my body rebelled and I sat down on the track at 6.5 miles, this attempt went great! I felt strong and finished the entire 7 miles with only one water break. i wasn't even thirsty, but after 5 miles, it felt like I should have some water, just in case.

My brother had recommended Gatorade pre packets so I tried one today. Maybe that made the difference, maybe it was actually having calories fueling my body. Whatever it was, I destroyed my old 7 mile time. Last week I trudged across the finish line in 1:19:03. Today I was aiming for 1:14 and soared across the finish line in 1:11:44, my last lap the fastest of all. Wow! I lost over a full minute on my average per mile speed. I even felt way better today, strong and not in any pain. The mental trick seems to be not thinking, just listen to the music and keep counting the lap number.

The rest of the week should be pretty easy - 4, 5, 4, 4. It's all relative. Not that long ago 4 miles seemed an insurmountable distance, now it's an easy day.

1 comment: