Monday, August 16, 2010

Breaking the law breaking the law

It's been a solid week since I saw the doctor and started the anti-inflammatory drugs. He said no running until he saw me again. Does anyone seriously think I followed his advice? I hit the Y for some upper body weights today and I felt great so I decided it was time to test my leg. It can handle ellipticalling with ease and feels better with biking, but running would be the true test of my recovery.

A lap at the Y is 1/10 of a mile and I told myself I would do one complete lap at the most. I went about 80% of the way before I stopped and picked up my bag and left. How did it feel? My mental health was great those 40 seconds. It felt incredible and liberating to be using my entire body again to tackle a serious bit of athletics. The real question though, is how did my leg feel? Better than it did last time I attempted running. I had a slight limp and I felt discomfort - but no pain! - in my quad. My knee and hip felt great. What the heck???

2 comments:

  1. Hi Michelle. I know we don't know each other, but I've been following your blog for a little bit now and I'm sorry to hear of your leg troubles! Running can be great and frustrating all at the same time. One of the best things I've heard lately (in regards to injury and overall health in general) is to remember that our bodies aren't perfect machines. Sometimes it's hard to attribute everything our very intricate bodies do to a particular cause. I hope you at least heal up soon and are able to hit the road again!
    -Megan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your kind words Megan :)

    ReplyDelete