Friday, September 17, 2010

I'm baaaaack

My beautiful pink Mizunos have been sitting in the trunk untouched since July. Yet the barefoot hippie running shoes seem to be working great! Sometimes one little piggy feels like a blister is starting to form, but that's nothing a little vaseline won't prevent. I feel like I'm going impossibly slow in them, yet my average time is still right around 10 minutes a mile. When I was doing the longer runs, especially the first time at a distance, it wasn't unheard of for me to get closer to 11-minute miles, so the "speed" seems to be right on track.

Distance wise I started with .5 miles then I stopped tracking distance and went to time. 12 minutes, 18 minutes, 23 minutes, all is well in my running world. My left calf has occasionally hurt but not in a "there is something wrong and this is serious pain" kind of way, but more like "I'm using a muscle I don't always use and it feels great" kind of way.

This weekend: 30 minutes baby! (sigh, what a setback that I was doing 7 miles and now I'm back to 3. Yet I have the muscle memory so it won't take nearly as long to build up the distance again).

There is a rock and roll marathon in New Orleans the week after Mardi Gras. Perhaps that will become the new goal. If I'm doing a winter marathon, it's definitely going to be somewhere warm!

Here's a great website to find races of any distance throughout the country http://www.runningintheusa.com/Race/List.aspx?Special=marathon

7 comments:

  1. You just might get me to try those shoes too. But, I do fine with the cushioning shoes and need the cushioning, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You only think you need the cushioning, but it's not helping you. Go to REI and take laps around the store. Even if you buy them and don't like, they'll still return. Ask for Brooke. She knows the hippie shoes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What about waiting till the spring and running the Martian Marathon sponsored by Running Fit? I did the half last year and had a great time. It's pretty flat too, so you could get a great PR.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the suggestion Karen. I did think about that race, yet I want to finish this item sooner rather than later. Who knows - maybe I'll come back and do a second marathon (or a third bc I do still REALLY want to do Detroit)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on being back in the game! Come out and join me for the 10k at the Big House Big Heart 10/3...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Carrie, you make a tempting offer. I'll have to get back to you! (Can you send me an email so I have yours? I'm trinity90578 at yahoo dot com)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I REALLY want to do Detroit too! I ended up injured just like you, so I was unable to train for Detroit this year, but I plan to be back, stronger and faster, in 2011. Maybe we can run Detroit together next year?

    ReplyDelete