Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Are you ready? Ready! Thank you Detroit!

Coolness aside, I'd like to say thank you...

- to the 2000+ volunteers working long before dawn
- to the thousands more that showed up with their husbands, wives, grandparents, grandkids and dogs to cheer for family, friends and strangers
- to the starting line dj for playing Journey's "Don't Stop Believing" as my wave was approaching the start line
- to nature for providing a perfect running day, including a sunrise visible from the Ambassador Bridge
- to the woman with the squirrel puppet - not what I was expecting to see and it made me laugh
- to the families in Indian Village who didn't offer water, but instead had beer tables and Polish music
- to the patient drivers who waited for the stragglers to cross the intersections
- to the musician around mile 13 who was singing Good Riddance (Time of your Life) and when I passed he was singing "For what it's worth, it was worth all the while. It's something unpredictable, but in the end it's right, I hope you had the time of your life."
- to all the kids (and adults) who held out their hands to slap five.
- to all the runners who commented on and encouraged what I had written on my calves in Shapie: Bucket List #5.
- to the shirt and medal designers - they're great!
- to all the bands and groups that showed up to entertain us
- to the woman passing out hard candy - any calories helped!
- to the people on the side of the road playing their iPods on speakers or turning up their car radios for passing runners
- to the Live United (United Way?) group at mile 12 for blasting AC/DC
- to the Canadian race walker who asked about #6
- to everyone who read my name and encouraged me to keep going
- to all the police and border workers who weren't just monitoring human traffic, but cheering and encouraging
- to everyone who took the time to make signs ("Toenails are overrated," "Just one more song")
- to the student who pointed out the obvious - that I can indeed walk
- to the Department of Homeland Security for allowing our passage into Windsor - it was definitely the best part of the race

Thank you Detroit! I love you all!






Yup, I'm a dork! :)







Someone posted this as a comment on the Freep's website and I like it so I'm sharing his words:

"When I ran the Chicago Marathon last Sunday and was limping my way to the finish line, a woman was holding a sign that said, 'There will be a day when you cannot do this. And today is not that day!' That inspired me to finish. You'll find your inspiration and you'll make it."

No comments:

Post a Comment