Saturday, October 16, 2010

Just a few hours now

It's 8:36, my alarm is set for 4am and I'm about to hop in bed - after I eat again. The irony is that I can't seem to ingest enough calories today! Tomorrow I plan to arrive downtown at 5:30 and eat until the race starts. Calories = energy, plain and simple.

My clothes are out, I met my brother and borrowed a race belt so I'm as ready as I'm going to be. Do I feel prepared for the race? Not at all, yet I have a strong feeling of confidence (delusion) that has served me well in the past. Case in point: I bought a car with a manual transmission when I had no clue how to drive it, yet I knew I'd figure it out; I twice quit my job without having anything lined up yet the rent and car payments were always paid on time. Things have a way of working out!!!

I also keep in mind when I did the triathlons on Belle Isle. The water was so cold and the current so strong that with every stroke, my body was screaming to quit. Every time I looked up, I saw a kayak or canoe and it would be so easy to latch on and get dragged back to shore. I couldn't breathe, yet I kept going and eventually I finished it.

Something else to keep in mind: Sound mind x sound body x total physical exhaustion = ALIVE! Pain is temporary but the memory and the accomplishment last forever. Those who stay will be winners. Etc.

Something seriously cool is you can track runners' progress during the race on the Freep's Marathon website. In the top right corner, click on Runner's Tracking on Race Day. It's not real time, but updates when runners cross timing pads throughout the course. How cool is that? If you want to track me, I'm number 6821 scheduled in the I wave.

One way or another I'll see you at the finish!

Best of luck Lizzy! Come say hi if you see me sporting the Billups jersey :)

3 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you too Michelle..I'll keep my eyes out for you!! :)

    ReplyDelete