Saturday, October 9, 2010

T Minus one week and counting!!!

At this time next week (8:30 pm on Saturday) I'll be in bed, resting up for the race. At this point, I'm definitely doing something, I'm just not sure which. Anonymous - whoever you are - made some excellent points, namely that I CAN walk if I need to. My bucket list says "Complete a marathon." It doesn't specify a time limit or indicate that I need to sprint every step. My goal is to finish on two feet without any assistance. If I have to walk some, I've still finished. Look at the competitors every year in the IronMan Triathlon who collapse and start crawling, anything to keep going. I don't want to be in that position, yet they're still doing everything possible to finish and I admire them more than the professionals who breeze through it.

The Freep Marathon obviously has time limits because they're closing streets and employing cops. Yet the limit is SEVEN HOURS for the full marathon. That's just over 16 minutes a mile. I could walk the entire thing and still finish in time...

I have worked hard for eleven months training my body and my mind. It's all about mind over matter. Here's how General Patton phrased it: "Now if you are going to win any battle to you to do one thing. You have to make the mind run the body. Never let the body tell the mind what to do. The body will always give up. It is always tired in the morning, noon and night. But the body is never tired if the mind is not tired."

Should I need further motivation, the back of my front door has two things: a map of the route and underneath that four simple words YOU CAN DO THIS!

Stand by for a decision.

3 comments:

  1. YAY i'm so glad you decided to do the full. you CAN do this!!!! :) cya soon!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lizzy, I haven't decided yet! Just aware that I do have options. Either way I'll be downtown on Sunday!
    You can do it too!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Many people train and race in a run / walk fashion. Like time it on your watch to do intervals. Run 8 minutes, walk for two, something like that. I've done a bit of training like that and it helped for longer distances.

    Also, many people intentionally walk part of the course. During non-sprint tri's, I run to the aid station, then walk the distance of the aid station, while drinking, then run to the next aid station again.

    ReplyDelete