Tuesday, November 9, 2010

How I did it

My boss asked me today how I trained for the marathon, so here is the planning story. Before getting hurt, I had the greatest intentions. I printed a month by month calendar and wrote out the scheduled exercise for every single day. For eleven months. At any point starting in November 2009, I could look at my calendar and determine the scheduled run for any day until the race. When I went to grad school in Ohio for 6 days at a time, the first thing I packed was my calendar so I had no excuses while I was out of town.

Of course getting hurt ruined everything, but I had it organized so well!

Here it is: a 43 week program (yes, 43 weeks) to go from being a couch potato to completing a marathon. Keep in mind that I'm not a trainer, haven't completed a single day in gym class since 6th grade and cobbled together three running program. In other words, it might not be the best plan available, yet it got me across the finish line. As a common sense warning, attempt marathons at your own risk! (Or go to a local running store and sign up for a marathon class, or ask for their training program.)


Click on the picture to make it bigger and readable / printable.

No comments:

Post a Comment