Friday, December 10, 2010

Paying it forward

In the week I thought I was doing the half, I got the following email from a woman I work with:

Hi Michelle,
I want to wish you the best on your 1/2 marathon. You really have been a great inspiration to me. I haven't done much walking let alone running in years due to my poor knees and hips. In June 2009 I had my left hip replaced. I had already in previous years had my other hip and my knees replaced. I had started walking better but not any distance. After reading your blog, I decided that even if I couldn't run (the doctor said that was not an option for me with my fake knees and hips) I needed to start walking. At the beginning of September I started walking with my husband ( he has always walked several miles on his own). the first week we just walked around the block (.43 mile). Over the weeks I have slowly increased my mileage and am now at a mile. I did my first walk around Elizabeth Park on Sunday. I have been trying to get my walk in 4 to 5 times a week. You would laugh at my time. It takes me about 22 minutes to walk a mile but since a month and a half ago, I couldn't even walk a half mile, I feel good about it. Keep up your blog. I am sure that you have inspired others too.
Diane
(reprinted with permission)

My response:
Thanks for your email! I'm so happy to hear I inspired you. I think we're all capable of great things, sometimes we just need a little nudge to get started. The guy last year did it for me, I paid it forward to you, the possibilities are endless! Awesome about walking a mile! Good for you :) and don't give the time a second thought. You're completing it, which is all that matters. Keep it up!!!!!

I think we're all capable of great things, if only we believe we can. So often we limit ourselves because we think we can't do something then it becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. Open your mind and everything is possible! (Look at me - I completed a marathon!!! if that doesn't say the impossible is only an illusion, I don't know what does!)

No comments:

Post a Comment