Saturday, February 5, 2011

Something mind-bottling

I did six miles today and like last week when I did five, it was slow, but I managed the entire distance without any walking or stopping. I think today was actually a little faster per mile than last week. Every time I go over 3 miles, I'm completely baffled that I just ran 4 miles, or 5 or 6 or whatever. I generally think anyone can run 3 miles, but going beyond that is going into the realm of athletes. Serious athletes run 6 miles without dying, and I still don't see myself as a serious runner. So every time I finish a long-ish run, I'm darn impressed with myself and left wondering how in the world I just did it.

Something positive about today's run is that I feel great right now. In the spring, after I completed my first six mile run, I was full of energy and decided I was going to scrub the house from top to bottom. I was in line at Target with a cart full of cleaning supplies when it hit me like a ton of bricks that I did not feel well. I rushed home, laid on the couch in the fetal position and turned on the Tigers game. The only thought I could comprehend was "If I don't move, eventually I will feel better."

Today - thankfully - had none of that trauma. My shins are a little sore and my thighs chafed a bit, but all in all, I survived a solid hour of running and I'm none the worse for the wear. I also burned 919 calories in the process, so I can eat anything I want all night, but I don't want to drive with the snowy roads. What a waste of a thousand free calories :)

No comments:

Post a Comment