Thursday, July 21, 2011

What a difference a year makes

I have a few times saved on the iPod stopwatch, the marathon of course, and three other runs that I was particularly proud of, including July 5, 2010 when I ran seven miles in 1:11:44 and I felt incredible after that run. It was over 90 degrees outside and I managed to run 8 or 9 minutes faster than I had the last time at seven miles. 54 weeks later, the 5K program limits me to running in 90 second increments. What a long sad decline from where I had been.

Yet I just spent a few days in Ashland, Ohio where I had attended grad school and all of my friends who had been there last year asked how my leg was feeling. Heck, even the program director asked how I was feeling and if I was running again. It was 52 weeks ago that I was there, unable to walk from point A to point B and biking quarter mile distances to go to class.

It's all a matter of perspective. I can't do the hour long runs right now, but I can run at all, I can move without pain and I'm on my way back. Besides, if not running 7 miles is the worst thing in my life, I have a whole lot to be thankful for!

No comments:

Post a Comment