Thursday, March 15, 2012

Day 151 - Clockwise bad, counterclockwise good

Almost all of my runs - regardless of the distance - go in a counterclockwise pattern. Just for fun on Wednesday I thought I'd do my 5-mile loop the opposite direction. It was awful! Terrible! Horrid!!! For every degree that my Tuesday run was awesome, my Wednesday run was equally wretched. It was the exact same route, but the direction made all the difference.


Then a huge light bulb flashed over my head. The first time I ran 18, I felt fine the first 10 miles, then everything fell apart the second 8. The next time I ran 18, it was all good for 12, then fell to pieces for the last 6. What made the difference in both runs? Changing directions!!! Each time I ran 2 counterclockwise laps, then switched for variety and different scenery the last lap. Big mistake!

My runs now and forevermore will go COUNTERCLOCKWISE! I don't mind continually looking at the same thing. My music is always the same, why shouldn't my scenery be as well?

3 comments:

  1. I was just thinking the same thing the other day. All of my runs go clockwise, apart from one, which I do counter clockwise as I want the first mile to not be the last, if you know what I mean. I tried to switch it up last week on one of my regular runs, and it sucked. We are truly creatures of habit. Good luck in your marathon, the Martian will be my first official half.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck at the Martian! 4 weeks from RIGHT NOW it'll be over :)

    ReplyDelete