Saturday, March 17, 2012

Day 153 - .14 farther, 13 minutes better


My first attempt at 14 miles was by far the worst run in the whole training process. It was cold, snowy, gray, windy and just miserable in every way possible. Today was completely different. It was 72 and sunny, ergo my 11:25 pace became a more respectable 10:40. Like every run, the first part was great! The first 8 miles were easy enough. The first 6.07 was done in 1:01. Then as soon as I hit my last lap, it's like my mind and body shut down and I had to drag myself through the last six miles.

It wasn't great - I was dehydrated, even with a water belt, I hadn't eaten enough calories, and my shirt was soaked with sweat. Gross! Something especially gross about warmer weather running is that my arms and legs sweat, then the water evaporates and I'm left with dry salt residue all over my body. Ewww!

It got done. Nothing else matters. Now I soak the callous on my foot and pumice stone it, then hit it with extra strength lotion. In four weeks it'll all be over and I can give my body the two or three weeks break from running it wants! Doing a 26 week training program is too long. I should have started with Hal and kept it to 18 weeks. Ah well, live and learn.

No comments:

Post a Comment