Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 180 - The Final Countdown


Cue bad 80s rock:

We're leaving together
But still it's farewell
And maybe we'll come back
To earth, who can tell?
I guess there is no one to blame
We're leaving ground
Will things ever be the same again?

It's the final countdown
The final countdown

Ohh
We're heading for Venus and still we stand tall
'Cause maybe they've seen us and welcome us all, yea
With so many light years to go and things to be found

It's the final countdown
....
Seems rather apropos that it's about interplanetary travel the day before the Martian Marathon.

It's Friday. In less than 24 hours it'll all be over, for better or for worse. Today's agenda is not very much. I was invited for a roast beef dinner, but that doesn't fit my eating plan. I'm not sure what exactly I'll be eating, but it'll be low on the grease, nothing too heavy!


In a few hours I go pick up my race packet and scope out the start line. I don't actually know where the race is!!!

Tonight I'm going to yoga then most likely immediately going to bed afterward. My alarm is set for 4:30 am. Yikes!!!

Clothing is laid out, food is laid out, I've done everything I can. I followed a 6-month training program, and upgraded to a better one as soon as I realized the original plan wasn't going to work. I did 98% of the scheduled workouts. It's sunny and I wish we were running today!

Here's some final pop music to send us off to the galaxy race:

Ground Control to Major Tom
Ground Control to Major Tom
Take your protein pills
and put your helmet on

Ground Control to Major Tom
Commencing countdown,
engines on
Check ignition
and may God's love be with you

Ten, Nine, Eight, Seven, Six, Five, Four, Three, Two, One, Liftoff

This is Ground Control
to Major Tom
You've really made the grade
And the papers want to know whose shirts you wear
Now it's time to leave the capsule
if you dare

This is Major Tom to Ground Control
I'm stepping through the door
And I'm floating
in a most peculiar way
And the stars look very different today

For here
Am I sitting in a tin can
Far above the world
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do

Though I'm past
one hundred thousand miles
I'm feeling very still
And I think my spaceship knows which way to go
Tell my wife I love her very much
she knows

Ground Control to Major Tom
Your circuit's dead,
there's something wrong
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you hear me, Major Tom?
Can you....

Here am I floating
round my tin can
Far above the Moon
Planet Earth is blue
And there's nothing I can do.

Ok the story is TERRIBLE! but I like the lift-off part. See you at the finish line at or under 5:00:00!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment