Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Baby steps


My yoga studio is called Yoga 4 Peace so it only seems appropriate that their new class is called Yoga 4 Runners. The class has existed all of 4 weeks, but I just noticed it last weekend. Tuesday was very hot, still in the 80s at 7:30. Justin Verlander was pitching, my ac felt so good, but my body was yelling to go try it. 

The class runs beforehand then does yoga geared more toward runners. The scheduled run is about 4 miles, but I figured I would go about a quarter mile then turn around and wait for class. It was hot and humid, my breathing was labored, but my legs and my ankle felt really good. If anything my ankle felt more stable than normal. 

I didn't want to stop, so I went 0.88 miles before turning around. I really wanted to push it and go for all 4 miles, but I didn't want to risk further injury. I iced it when I got home as a precaution, but it felt really good. There were some yoga poses that irritated my ankle, so I modified those to work better for me.

Wednesday felt even better. It was in the upper 70s and sunny. I wanted to run again, still a shorter distance, but a wee bit challenging. I headed out for a 2-miler and completed it with ease. No walking, second half was faster than the first. Everything was working right. Plus I found 26 cents on the way :)

I've been wearing my Mizunos all day long, regardless of my clothing and that seems to help with stability. I've stopped wrapping it. Swelling is very slight, pain is only when I poke at it, or roll in the direction that caused the sprain in the first place.

My running schedule calls for 6 miles this Saturday, perhaps 3 would make more sense. Maybe 3 in the morning and 3 in the evening.

It feels so good to be running again! I realized it's not so much what I do, but who I am! If I were a man, I would say running is my mistress. I don't know the equivalent for a woman. My friend suggested running is my pool boy? haha any better ideas?

No comments:

Post a Comment