Wednesday, June 13, 2012

The elusive two-a-day

I had absolutely nothing planned for Tuesday. A run would help with health and training, but everything was fluid and flexible. I woke up at a decent hour and decided to run before I did anything else. It felt so good to get it done and out of way!!!! I did an easy 3-miler in 29:32 with no walking. I haven't walked once since coming back from the ankle sprain. Sweet!

I spent the rest of the day cleaning the house like a crazy woman. I vacuumed every square inch of the house and the basement, washed the shower curtain, bleach washed the bedroom curtains, scrubbed the bathtub, put away baskets of clean laundry.

Then I got bored with cleaning.

It was still early - 5ish and the Tigers didn't start until 8:05. I could watch tv - there was a plethora of quality programming a la Toddlers and Tiaras, Teen Mom, etc.

I decided a better option would be to hit the Y for the elusive 2-a-day, which was quite possibly only the second time in my life I've done so. I ellipticalled for 30 minutes and it felt good. It always feels good to raise my heart rate and sweat a little.

I'm trying to lose 10ish pounds this summer and I really don't know how to do it. I mean, I know how to make it happen, but nothing is in moderation. I exercise 1-2x a day, 6 days a week and count every calories I consume via The Daily Plate. I definitely lose weight when I'm super vigilant about it. The other extreme is eating whatever I want within reason and exercising once a day 6 days a week. I'm either vigorously losing or slowly letting the weight come back. I need to learn moderation!

The problem with training for marathons at the same time is that I have to eat a certain number of calories so I have the strength to run hours at a time. Nita keeps reminding me to eat like an athlete - BECAUSE THAT'S WHAT I AM!!! I love when she tells me that :D

Here's a great old-school Nike ad for motivation:

89-year-old weightlifters.
99-year-old marathoners.
The back of Sports Illustrated is full of them.
People who forgot to retire.
And never got old.
People who realized:
It's easier to keep going
If you never stop.
JUST DO IT.

Get up. Get out.
Build up the muscle.
Get rid of the flab.
Go back to school.
Sell the TV.
JUST DO IT.

Master the curveball.
Pound the bag.
Rebuild an engine.
Jump-start a career.
JUST DO IT.

Bench press four big plates.
Dig for fossils.
Bicycle across Canada.
Save an endangered species - yourself.
JUST DO IT.

The only one who can tell you you can't, is you.
And you don't have to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment