Sunday, June 24, 2012

Forgetting the misery

After the spring marathons, I kept my running in the 2-5 mile range, so it was all easy and pretty good feeling. Last week was week 1 with Hal and he always has me do long runs on the weekend. Week 1 - 8 miles. oh my! In the months post-Toledo evidently I had forgotten how awful the long runs are!

I was a little worried about the distance because the longest I've done prior to yesterday was 5.15. I had planned to gradually build up to 8 over several weeks, but with the sprained ankle, didn't have time to do so. As a result, I had to jump from 5.15 to 8.08 miles. That wasn't nearly as bad as I was expecting.

What was bad? Everything else! lol It was in the mid 80s and sunny so I wore sunblock and a white shirt. I took my water belt but the water didn't last very long. At mile 6 I passed a yard with the sprinkler going and no one in the yard, so I bent down and filled my bottles. Why does hose water taste so good???

Due to the heat and big jump in mileage, I scheduled breaks. The plan was to run 9 minutes and walk 1. That worked well. It felt really slow and I felt weak, but I managed to stay under my Free Press goal time. Looking back at 8-milers I did all fall / winter / spring, I was in the same time range, even a little faster this time.

When I got home, I was so sweaty that I got in the shower fully dressed. Somehow it isn't as gross to take off wet clothing as it is to take off sweat soaked clothing. Everything had to be washed anyway!

The rest of the day, I couldn't get enough food or water. This was one of the big aspects I had forgotten about long distance running. It felt like I was eating nonstop and still craving more! The next day I still feel hungry and dehydrated.

Remind me again why I'm doing this? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment