Wednesday, June 20, 2012

This was only the FIRST day???

Tuesday June 19 had been circled on my calendar for months, as the first date with Hal Higdon and his novice 2 program, the next more challenging step in his marathon planning. After the Toledo marathon, it seemed so long off, but of course it arrived in the blink of an eye. The Free Press is likewise arriving quickly - mid-October seems a long way off, but it's only 18 weeks!

After the Martian and Toledo, I never gave up running, just scaled back on the distances. With the exception of 9 days after the ankle sprain, I managed to run 3-4 times a week, so that was good and should have helped me prepare for Hal, where in week 1 he prescribes 3, 5, speed / hills, 8.

Nothing prepared me, however, for Tuesday's weather. The forecast was HOT so I had every intention of going on the early side. One of my favorite things to do, though, is sleep in, and Tuesday I didn't get out of bed until 9:30. I certainly didn't want to eat, but I knew I needed the calories, so I had a Kashi Go-Lean protein bar for 270 calories and a glass of water. Not nearly enough calories to fuel a run, but I also didn't want to run the risk of barfing or needing a rest stop.

Then I was off! There was a decent breeze and my route had plenty of trees, but neither did much to alleviate the heat. I generally take my water only on 5-milers or more, but within the first mile I needed water! I hadn't had enough calories so I had no energy. Add in dehydration and terrible conditions and it was quite possibly the worst 3-miler of my life. Boo! 3-milers are supposed to be easy quickie runs. I needed an ice bath when I was done! I wasn't just hot, I was super exhausted and a little woozy. I felt as bad as if I had finished a marathon :(

The Wednesday forecast got even worse!!! The only decent temperature was at 2am! I was outside on Tuesday night and it wasn't terrible, so I'm going to try a later run today and see if that's any better. The only other alternative is to run inside at the Y and I managed to avoid that all winter. I sure don't want to do it in the summer! Would everyone hate me if I hoped for a cooler summer?

No comments:

Post a Comment