Friday, July 6, 2012

Life surprises

I realized a few things that really surprised me in training for the Martian and the Free Press.

My entire life I've avoided oranges like the plague. I love orange juice, but if it has any pulp, forget it! It feels so slimy and gets stuck in my teeth and I feel like I'm chewing juice. Yuck! I always assumed oranges are just like the heavy pulp, so I never had one. Ever. Besides I can't stand anything sour and I assumed oranges were super sour. Then my brother mentioned he and his kids like cuties. They're even pickier eaters than I am! The taste of orange is so yummy and I figured if I didn't like them, I'd give the whole bag to him. Big surprise - I loved them!!!! They peeled easily, had a really sweet taste and no pulp! What have I been missing all my life???? If only cuties were available all year! I would eat 3 or 4 a day!

I also realized cold weather running isn't that terrible. I don't especially like it, but I can dress for it. The best part of cold weather running is that I can run any time of day. I can sleep in, relax, head out mid afternoon and it's totally ok. I don't love the cold, but it beats this awful heat. Aside from the time of day, there's not much to be done with the hot weather. I can wear wicking clothing, but it doesn't really cool me off. boo! It's much easier to dress for the cold, even if it makes me look like a marshmallow.

A third surprise has nothing to do with running but it fits the life surprise theme. I've been at my job for 6 non-consecutive years. The first four years I worked exclusively in middle and high schools. When I re-hired, I replaced a woman who retired and my boss assigned me an elementary school! What?! She said she would re-assign me as soon as she could, but within a month, I said it was ok and she could leave me there. I actually liked working with kids. Wow! When they're not germy, they're pretty cute. Besides I'd rather teach Charlotte's Web than The Crucible or Shakespeare.

Of course the biggest surprise of all is that I became a marathon runner!!!! Never in a million years did I think I would run multiple marathons. That's for serious athletes to do, not studious book-worms. I guess I fooled everyone, especially myself :D

I guess the moral of the story is try new things. You just might like it!

No comments:

Post a Comment