Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Running burnt

I've experience two different kinds of running burnt. 5-6 weeks before the Martian I was mentally burnt out. I was bored with running and while my body could handle any distance Hal prescribed, my mind was bored and struggled to finish the runs.

NOT ME!!!! I'm not nearly this red!!!!!
Tuesday morning was a completely different kind of burn. Monday was wonderful, glorious "No exercise Monday!!!" Rather than stay home, I headed to the beach at Maumee Bay State Park. A day off has never felt that good and I dragged my chair into the water, almost level with the water height. I read, I relaxed, the waves crashed over my chair. It was soooooo relaxing. The only running thought I managed was "Hal who???" I slathered sunblock over my entire body, yet by the time I went to bed, realized I had still gotten burnt. It was really splotchy, indicative of sunscreen sweating off in random spots. The worst part is I wore a key-hole top so I have a nice circle burn :( The burn wasn't too painful and the only places that might be a problem were my hip and my underarm area where my sports bra fits.

Tuesday morning was hot and humid. At least it was the first time I stepped outside. I knew it would only get worse as the day went on, so I had 2 glasses of water and 1 1/2 Kashi cereal bars and forced myself to go. In those 15 minutes it had cooled off considerably and felt great. Fake out! Five minutes later it was super hot again. Thankfully it was only a 3-miler day.

It got done. My shorts rubbed my burnt hip. My bra rubbed my burnt chest. Aside from the burn, it was still a lousy run. I felt really weak and exhausted, although I guess that's to be expected on Tuesday runs. Tuesdays are always super low mileage, with the main purpose of getting my legs and body running again after the beating inflicted by the long Saturday run.

I passed a building whose marquee read "Satan called. He wants his weather back." That about says it all.

No comments:

Post a Comment