Friday, August 17, 2012

2 races 2 days bad idea

I had one goal for the Milford Memories 1-mile "fun" run - to go all-out as fast as I could and set a pr for one mile. While training for the Martian I hit an 8:07 and thought I could beat that. Maybe in a perfect world I could have. Maybe if the course was flat, maybe if I hadn't done a race the day before. Could have, should have, would have. The runner from Hell commiserated with my failure:
Good job for 8:47 - even though you had a "bad" time. Remember, you did a very hilly 10 miler - THE DAY BEFORE. So use that as your excuse. 
Yes, I failed. The finish line clock was 8:53, but I know I missed a few seconds at the start because I wasn't toeing the line, so I'm calling it 8:47. As I crossed the finish line, the announcer said "Michelle Bemis of Milford, third overall." Seriously? Wow! Likely the ONLY race I'll ever finish in the top 3. I didn't even care that the top 2 were probably pushing strollers or had just given birth or something. I WAS THIRD!!!!! Wheeeee!!!!!

There was a little boy of 8 or 9 near me at the end. As we approached the finish line, I kicked up my speed and promised myself that even though I missed my time, I WOULD beat the little boy. I did :) I saw my brother's running friends at the finish and asked them if it was evil of me to pass him so close to the end? They assured me it was fine :)

I looped back on the course to meet my brother and his son to finish with them. The little guy is only 3 so it was a slow go :) When we got to the finish line, I slowed down so he wouldn't be the last place finisher.

At the end of the day I was 3rd overall and dead last loser with finishing times of 8:47 and 22+ Funny.

Afterward, the family went to the Rotary pancake breakfast. The race was over, but not the disappointment. There were certificates for all the 1-mile finishers. They were pre-printed and ready to go, but the race organizers wouldn't give us certificates!!!! They said everything would be given at the awards ceremony, but when with a 2 and a 3 year old, waiting over an hour isn't the best choice. One of the organizers offered to mail us the certificates. We'll see if they actually arrive.

I also emailed about the 3rd place finish. The website said prizes to the top 3 men and women in the 1-miler. Where's my award??? I don't even need a prize, just give me a certificate that says I was the bronze finisher! Acknowledge the ONE race I did well relative to the field.

So yeah, the shirts were cute for t-shirts, running with my nephew was fun, but the management of the race wasn't so great. There wasn't even anything to eat or drink at the end.

Had the two races been reversed, I absolutely would have broken 8 minutes, but I was running on tired legs, a sore quad and a tender hip. Excuses excuses, I know.

1 comment:

  1. Nice write up. So, you emailed the organizers asking about the prizes and certificates? Thanks. Heck, the organizers, or at least the volunteers was our credit union. I can even pick the stuff up there, if you get them to agree to it.

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete