Friday, August 3, 2012

Resignation


My buddy Hal says tomorrow is a 14-miler. Ugh that's miserable. Even more miserable is the weather, still 86 when I post this at 9 pm. Overnight will be in the upper 70s and all day tomorrow will be upper 80s to mid 90s. What the hell....?

Why aren't my shoes cute like this? 
This week was back to work week at a summer camp at the elementary school. The school isn't air conditioned and we have portable a/c units in each classroom, but they don't do a thing for temperature control. The blowing noise makes us believe it's cooler, but it's miserable if you're any further than 2 feet from the cold air fan on the machine. Each day I've drunk 64 ounces of water, and 20 of coffee by 4 pm, and I'm still massively dehydrated the entire day and night, despite several more glasses of water.

Residual dehydration, 14 miles, mid 90s. Awful, miserable combination. I feel defeated just thinking about it.

So I've resigned myself to running at the Y. I can't imagine how insanely boring it will be, yet there are a few perks - it's air conditioned inside, and I have a place to store my Nalgene bottle. I will have to figure out how to shut off my brain because it's going to be in the 2:20 vicinity to log the miles.

It sucks. Just thinking about the idea of 140 laps drives me crazy. Yet I have an easy choice tomorrow - boredom or guaranteed heat stroke. When I look at it that way, there's really nothing to consider.

No comments:

Post a Comment