Friday, January 18, 2013

Back with a laser focus

Earlier this week I realized I haven't weighed myself in quite some time, and the number wasn't the greatest. I've been slacking a little with eating since Columbia City... My clothing all still fits, but I had been planning to lose some weight this winter anyway. My "boyfriend" Hal Higdon has said numerous times that runners typically run their fastest times when at their lowest weights. It completely makes sense. I wouldn't run a marathon wearing a 10 pound weight vest, yet if I don't lose the winter weight, that's essentially what I'm doing.

So I'm back to training with a vengeance. Back to The Daily Plate for calorie monitoring. Back to healthy eating, with fruit or veggie and protein at every meal. I am what I eat. Besides I've noticed many a time that when I eat healthy, I feel better which transfers to better runs.

It doesn't faze me to eat the same thing several days in a row, so last night I made whole wheat pasta with baked chicken breast, broccoli and carrots, seasoned with a little olive oil and pesto sauce. Yum!

Back to 11 pm bedtimes...

I would say back with Hal's training program, but I never left him. I wrote out his training program 4 months ahead of time so I know what I'm doing every single day through May 7. Every season I print a paper calendar and write the schedule in pen. Knowing it's there, knowing what I have to do makes me more likely to complete the mileage.

No more excuses. Cold weather? Pfft put on some more clothing! It's staying daylight until 5:45 now, so that buys me a few more minutes of run time after work.

Something else Hal stresses is CONSISTENCY CONSISTENCY CONSISTENCY!!! I agree 100%. I KNOW the formula for running well and being prepared for a race, now I need to stick with it for 13 weeks.

The Martian marathon is in 13 Saturdays so it's time to get serious and re-commit to doing the work I need to for a 4:48 finish. I'm healthy, my cold is gone, and my hamstrings and glutes are as good as I have time for them to be.

The Martian posted the shirt and medal design. They're so hideous they've swung back to intriguing... :P Now if only the shirts were v-neck!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment