Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Devastating news for my friend

My Indianapolis Road Trip Friend just started running last year. The Martian was his first 5k and he built on that to finish the Free Press half marathon, and the Indianapolis Monumental half two weeks later. 

His big plan for 2013 was to complete a full marathon. On January 1 he emailed me "I'm a bit nuts, but as you probably know, the Indiana Monumental opened up registration yesterday and up until tonight, the full marathon is only $55. I don't know where I will be [with some personal stuff] by then, but I did sign up for the full marathon. yikes. It really does scare the living shit out of me."

A few days later he texted, "I'm letting you know first - I'm officially bonkers, call the asylum - I've signed up for the full DFP run."

To both, I assured him that yes, he CAN do it, that he needs to meet my boyfriend Hal, stick with him, and he WILL finish a full marathon (or two)!

Last week he said he had hurt his foot on the treadmill. I prescribed rest, elevation, compression, ice. Is that not the fix for every running ailment? This week it was still bothering him, so I advised that he see a doctor. I'm the biggest fan of trying to wait out injuries, or self-cure, but I've learned if it interferes with more than seven consecutive run days, see a doctor!

He texted me this afternoon that he's seeing an orthopedist in the morning and from what he's found online, he thinks it's a navicular stress fracture. 

I feel soooooooooo bad for him. Stress fractures derailed my entire 2011 and it's such a frustrating injury because everything FEELS FINE! You just can't run, and every day that goes by, you KNOW you're losing health and ability. It's the worst feeling to watch all your hard earned fitness slip away so quickly.

I hated to be the bearer of bad news, but I said his spring race plans are almost certainly off the table now, including the Martian and Toledo that we were going to carpool together and take dorky photos with our medals (because I was too sick in Indy to remember it then). In extreme cases, a stress fracture is casted, but with or without the cast, the main treatment is rest rest rest. Then start building mileage SLOWLY.

Can he still do the full marathons in the fall? Sure, but it's going to be a long, slow, frustrating process. Poor guy! I feel terrible for him!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment