Friday, March 22, 2013

I fall to pieces

I've been teaching my second night class for three weeks now, so it's just about time I got sick. Financially I HAVE to teach the second class, but health wise, my body can't handle the physical stress of two jobs and marathon training.

Thursday morning I woke up with a sore throat. I worked all day and felt relatively ok, but skipped my Thursday run because I just wanted to lay down and close my eyes. I never fell asleep, so it was a total waste and running would have given me more energy. I was in bed at 9:50, read a little, then shut off the light and laid there, and laid there, and laid there, and eventually my alarm went off, without ever going into deep sleep. So frustrating!!!!!

Naturally tomorrow's long run is 22 big miles. Why does it always coincide with me feeling terrible?

My first race is 3 weeks away. I need to wrap myself in a bubble until the spring races are over.

Even before I started feeling sick, I was absolutely falling-over exhausted. I theorized if it was due to losing weight. Calories are a source of FUEL, but I've been deliberately restricting my intake. Does it follow that I'd have less energy as a result? Yeah, pretty much.

I mentioned it to my friend who said "Absolutely. When body needs energy because of lack of sleep, hunger or stress, it will try and over compensate. That's why we tend to overeat when tired because our body isn't getting it from sleep so looking elsewhere for energy. Could be opposite for you. You're hungry so body is looking for extra energy from sleep." It makes sense :(

I asked the doctor last year what I can do to stay healthier because I already take really really good care of myself. I exercise 6 times a week, incorporating cardio, weights and yoga. I eat super healthy. I get at least 7 hours of sleep a night. I never smoke or expose myself to second-hand smoke. I rarely drink. My biggest vice is a cup of coffee, so why am I constantly getting sick? She said "Some people just get sick more than others." Thanks jack@ss. Glad I paid you so much for that super great advice.

No comments:

Post a Comment