Thursday, March 28, 2013

I feel so damn unready

When I put together my audacious spring race schedule it seemed like a good idea. I've done marathons on consecutive weekends twice, I managed three in four weeks, but those all just happened because I was obsessed with a time and found geographically desirable races where I could try again (and again, and again). I certainly never planned it ahead of time.

This spring though I planned and committed to three marathons and the 4-way in four consecutive weekends and I feel completely unprepared.

I was already in shape so I didn't start Hal's program from day 1. I needed a few days in January to rest then resumed Hal's program with 10 weeks to go. I used the novice 2, the same program I used last summer, and followed it with 95% fidelity, even upgrading the 19 and 20 mile runs to 20 and 22 and I'm doing my miles as hills and intervals the last month. The 20 and 22 mile runs, however, I was sick both times! Yes I muscled through them, but neither was good.

Something else that wasn't good is the weather. I know we're all complaining about it, but it really made training outside difficult this year and running inside is better than nothing, but it's not the same.

I think another part of the problem is that I'm not looking at each race individually. I'm looking at the enormity of 4 marathons, wondering just what exactly was I thinking?

I can run 20 miles while sick, I can run on the treadmill for 3 hours, I don't even think twice about running 4-5 miles without stopping or walking once, but I still don't feel ready!!

Another area of concern is my shoes. I'm still wearing the pair I wore in my fall 2012 races because they are still supporting my feet and they still feel good. I don't think they'll last 4 races though. At what point do I start a new pair? No one wants to wear new shoes in a race.

After my 22 miler on Saturday I'm into the tapering phase of training, the gradual lessening of miles in anticipation of the race. I just wonder how in the world is it already taper time??? It arrived way too quickly!

At this point I know I can drag myself across the finish line, but that's not enough. I want to break 5 hours every time now. I anticipate my best spring time at Toledo, but I still want to be under 5 every time!

I also know at this point it's too late to do anything. I've trained and I can't do any more. Hal always cautions against over training. He says under training is better. Regardless I've passed the high point of training and there's nothing more I can do.

The crazy thing is that in just over a month, I'll be done with three fulls and the 4-way and I'll think "wow, it's over already? All that training and I'm done?! Now what?"

One area where I do feel absolutely ready is my race day food. I always have the same breakfast of a RedBull and a MetRX bar, so I bought enough to last me five racing days. Rather than go to the grocery store every Friday, I just stocked up.

I know :(

No comments:

Post a Comment