Thursday, March 7, 2013

Running through the pain

It often seems like running marathons is a matter of running though the pain. The location and severity vary, but it seems like something is always not quite right.

My right quad has been sore for a week now, but this is a common one. It's not pain per se, it's just not right. it feels overworked, but doesnt feel pulled or strained. After a few miles, I stop noticing it. Yoga tomorrow will help it. I had the same muscular pain in the fall and a massage helped alleviate it.

The quad is one of the biggest muscles in the body, so you'd think that was my worst problem, but it's not. After my awful 12.55 miler on the dreadmill last weekend, my right 4th toe looked bruised, but it didn't really bother me. The past few days, however, it has hurt, sometimes pretty bad. I can run through it, so I'm going to leave it alone for now and only see a doctor if I can't run.

It gets dicey though because my races start 5 weeks from Saturday, so if I need to have the nail removed, I'd rather do it now than the day or week before the race.

Most people would have the common sense approach "If it only hurts when you run, stop running!!!" I'm not most people though...

Aside from the nagging minor injuries, I haven't felt right this week. Most days I've gone to bed with a sore throat and woken up feeling the same. That's always the first sign of a raging cold / bronchitis, but in four days it hasn't moved past the sore throat phase. Again, I can run through it, so I do.

Despite feeling moderately under the weather, both my runs this week have been GREAT so I'm doing something right!

2 comments:

  1. Michelle, I hear ya..Your quad, my stupid knees. As long as you have been running and as much as You Run you know what you can Run Through and what not to..But it does not camouflage the irritation of PAIN...However you cut it it is still nagging, annoying and frustrating.

    You are a tough cookie, Hope you feel better..I am thinking the perfect remedy wouold be 50 degrees and sunny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I'm not looking forward to tomorrow's 20-miler, but the forecast is looking good!!!!

      Delete