Monday, May 27, 2013

Barely maintaining

The first week after Cincinnati I ran zero miles.

The next week: 6

This last week: 7

So in three weeks, I've done exactly 13 miles, which is less than what I "should" do in a normal week. Whatever. I felt fine during the crazy 4 marathons in 4 weeks spree, but as soon as it was over, I was completely done, and finally realized perhaps it may have been a teensy bit too much.

Running still isn't fun, but I know I have to keep going lest I restart from zero. My lungs don't have the capacity they used to have, and I could remedy that with some cross training at the gym, but I've been insanely busy the past few weeks and have no desire to work out 5-6 days a week.

I'm still running if only to keep my legs used to the pounding. It seems counterintuitive, but when I've stopped running and tried to go back is when I've gotten hurt with stress fractures. It's easier on my legs if I never stop altogether.

The past two Saturdays have been good because I've had company. I've tried many times to find a running partner and I've done the running group thing, but it seemed everyone fell into two categories: the new runners, just starting out at 15-minute miles, or the really good runners doing 6-minute miles. Neither was a good fit for me. My Saturday friend is right with me in the 9:30 - 10:30 range, but has zero interest whatsoever in running more than 6 miles so it's good for now, but not a permanent solution :(

It's Monday and I'm strongly considering another short run. It's always weird when I run on Mondays.

Thank you veterans.

1 comment:

  1. We have a group that meets at the YMCA in Southgate almost daily and runs at 5am. Our paces range from 10 minute miles to 6:30 minute miles.

    ReplyDelete