Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A change in plans

Early in the year, I wrote down the five things I wanted to accomplish in 2013. Number 2 was a list of the ten races I planned to run, including the Woodstock 50k.

I've never run an ultra and had a great / terrible plan for it. Hal wants me running 20 miles that day anyway, so I was going to skip the run the day before and just change the 20 to 31.

Running Fit sponsored races are really good about publishing pictures ahead of time and here's the shirt and medal they offered:

The shirt is nothing special, but the medal is great! I could definitely picture one of those joining my collection.

Then at The Legend they had a table advertising the Woodstock races and the shirt is different and even better. The medal was sparkly and the size of a hockey puck. I picked up a registration flyer and part of me wanted to register right then, but I didn't have my credit card.

Then I started thinking the course could be like the Run through Hell, which is all dirt roads. That wouldn't be a problem. Yet it could also be like The Legend course, which isn't terrain I want to run again for a long time, certainly not 31 miles of it.

Then Stephanie commented about the terrain. Running Fit replied to my email to say Woodstock was even more technical than The Legend.

Stop. Change plans immediately.

I don't have any new plans though. Motivation has been a big big problem all summer and I was looking to Woodstock as a nice break, so it's not just another week, but something special and different. Different isn't always good though.

Part of me has been looking for a marathon that week to replace it and serve as a training milestone. Part of me says just go run the 20 on Hines for free and be done with it. I don't know.

2 comments:

  1. I am running the Woodstock marathon as part of my DWD 50K training. I vote for you to do the same. :-) You can run with my DWD group if you'd like. We plan to stick together as we have the last 2 years. it's a lot of fun and one of my favorite events.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, that's a great offer, but you're good and I'm...not. Seriously, with that terrain I'd be looking at a 7hour+ time :(

      Delete