Monday, February 17, 2014

A treadmill run (yes, ANOTHER)

Hal's program had me running 14 miles this weekend. I've been completely neglectful of these long Saturday runs :~(

The only thing I've been managing is to keep up with my speed training, because that's all I can handle right now with the dreadmill being my only option.

Kelly had invited me to run 9 miles on Sunday, so I postponed my Saturday run to Sunday, then realized how cold and new snowy it was, so I bailed on that. I finally dragged myself onto the treadmill, where I finished 5.95 miles, which is my new PR for 1 hour on a dreadmill. Rather than increase every 0.05 miles, I increased every minute, going from 5.0 to 6.9.

Monday was back to the same dreadmill. I did 0.5 warmup, then 3.1 miles at 6.2 mph and the last 0.4 at whatever pace. It was originally supposed to be a cool down, but my legs felt good, so I kept pushing the speed every 0.05 miles. I know at some point I've done a 5k under 30 minutes, but it was in my mid-20s and not part of my current running life (which began October 2009 when I started training for my first marathon). Breaking the half hour mark had become a bit of a glass ceiling for me, that I could get so close but never crash through it. I knew today was that day and I made it happen. It had always seemed like a somewhat difficult feat to average 9:40s for that long, but after doing it, it wasn't bad at all. Next up: 4 miles at 6.2 mph. I'm going to break an hour on a 10k this year!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Love that you are continuing to increase your pace on the TM. I see a PR!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was just outside shoveling and it felt pretty good - 32 and sunny with no wind. Definitely running weather, except for the 5" of slush over all the sidewalks and streets :(

      Delete
  2. Hi! Love the way you using treadmill. Nice resolution for 2016... :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks!!! No TM for me this year - super mild winter, and bought a spin bike for my living room :D

      Delete