Saturday, March 1, 2014

Going nowhere fast

I was a total crankypants when I woke up on Saturday. The forecast was cloudy, but 37 degrees. Obviously the reality was nowhere close to that. The gross 100% cloud cover was there, but the temperature was hovering around 16 and I was not a happy camper. Not only did I have a long run on a day that I sure didn't want to be outside, but with snow on the radar, Bill didn't want to drive over, and I don't drive my car any further than I can walk home because it's on its last last last leg.

I had breakfast and lunch, and two Clif granola bars with peanut butter. At that point, I HAD to exercise because I had eaten so much. It was twilight at 4pm, so I went back to the gym and it sucked!

Ok it wasn't that bad. I would have definitely preferred to be outside doing natural running, but thankfully Nita had posted a link to Bart Yasso's treadmill workouts.

For the first hour, I did option 1:
1. 10K-pace interval run: Warm up at an easy pace for 12 minutes. Then run for five minutes at your goal 10K pace. Do this five times with two minutes of recovery at an easy pace in between. Cool down for 10 minutes at an easy pace.
 I ran the 10k pace segments at 6.3, and the recovery segments at 5.7, which is marathon pace. He said to cool down for 10 minutes, but I decided I wanted to hit 6 miles, so I progressed the speed until I got there. Final distance: 6.04, pace 9:56.
Something that really grosses me out on treadmills is how much I sweat and the subsequent feeling of a soaked shirt on my skin. Knowing this, I planned ahead and packed a second shirt and headband. I got off the treadmill, changed, refilled my water bottle, ate a few Tootsie Rolls (What kind of gym has candy on the desk? Isn't that counter-productive?) and tried to forget about the last hour.
For the second hour, I did this:
Bart also has some tips for tackling a long run on the treadmill. “A long run on the treadmill is a perfect time to teach your body to run negative splits,” he says.Bart suggests breaking up a long run into four segments. For example, on a 16-mile long run, run miles 1-4 at 2 minutes slower than your goal marathon pace. For miles 5-8 run 90 seconds slower than marathon pace, miles 9-12 run one minute slower than marathon pace, and finish with miles 13-16 at 30 seconds slower than marathon pace.
My plan was to divide the run in 15-minute segments of 5.4, 5.5, 5.6 and 5.7, but starting at 5.4 felt too fast, so I started at an easy 5.0 and increased the pace every five minutes. At 30 minutes, I started increasing every 3 minutes. It got done. Final distance: 5.5, pace 10:54.

Each of the runs was a negative split, but combined, I was slower the second hour. My overall pace was 10:23, which is faster than my marathon pace. It was a good workout, but sheesh!, will this winter never end???? At least give us a break for a few days!!!!!
Hal said to do 17 miles, but I was not in the mood for three hours on the hamster wheel. At this point, I should probably change my spring fulls to halfs, but I don't want to pay the change fee. I think a realistic approach is to set PRs at the Rock CF half, and the 5K and 10K at the Cincinnati Flying Pig, and worry about a marathon PR for a fall race. Hopefully by October this damn ice will melt and we'll break above freezing.

1 comment:

  1. I love how organized your run was MICHELLE. Very inspirational. I think it looked good. You switched things up enough to not get to bored. That is such a long time on the TM. I wish it would just melt already. I had some snow melting this afternoon for a minute. I am not Catholic but I saw someone write this and it made me laugh "I am giving up WINTER for Lent!"

    ReplyDelete