Monday, April 28, 2014

I'm going down in a blaze of glory


It's funny. Nita just posted today about post-marathon life, how the pain doesn't end at mile 26.3, but stays with you for days, makes it near impossible to walk downstairs, makes sleep difficult due to aching legs. The first few mornings, I inevitably wake up in bed, needing to use the bathroom, but dreading it because I know my legs will ache and walking will be so painful. A shuffle is the most I can manage first thing in the morning.

After a half, however, with a shower and cup of coffee, I'm good to go. I'm completely functional and none the worse for the wear. A full though, has me out of commission for the better part of a week, and I'm just done with it.

Next stop: marathon retirement!!!! I'm going out in a blaze of glory in Chicago amidst nearly 2 million spectators. Nothing can top that! The next week I'll have fun with Detroit because it's already paid for, then I'm making the switch to halfs.* It's a long enough distance to be challenging, but not so difficult as to interfere with things most of us take for granted, like walking, or sleeping right. I've figured out how to run a half at a sub-10 pace, so my next goal will be a 9:45 average pace, and keep whittling down the time until I'm consistently well under 2 hours.

Yet how can I feel a little sad about abandoning something that has destroyed my body so consistently and so often...? It's torture at the time and I can't wait for it to end, then I look at my medals and get a little mushy inside. Kelly figures I'll reconsider by next week. idk she may be right. Or maybe I take off a full season (spring or fall). I've been training for spring and fall marathons in 2012, 2013 and 2014. Maybe a hiatus instead?

*Caveat: Obviously I'll keep entering the New York and Chicago lotteries, and run a full if either race accepts me, but otherwise, been there, done that. Next!

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on Your Toledo marathon First off.
    Secondly, they sure do beat the snot out of you. YOU have been such an inspiration to me with all the miles and marathons you put in. Take you time and recover. Then see how you feel. You have ran some incredibly fun marathons. Part of running races is to try and have fun. When it is no longer fun we really question what our purpose in it all is.
    The great thing about all of it is we can change our mind at any time!

    I like doing a spring and a fall marathon. But this year training for a spring marathon was not fun at all.
    Hope you feel better and recover well.
    ENJOY your recovery time. (the best you can)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll get the Toledo story posted soon. Feel like I've been going nonstop and I need to relax and sleep so I don't get rundown and sick!

      I'm definitely going to miss marathoning. It will be hard to miss even one season, but I need a break. I can always do halfs :)

      Delete