Monday, April 7, 2014

Saying no to Bayshore

Everyone I know who has run the Bayshore marathon in Traverse City has raved about it. It's an out and back right along the coast of Lake Michigan. Hal says it's one of his favorites in the Midwest. I missed the sell out point for regular registration, but just for kicks, put myself on the waiting list. I was #83 and figured I'd never hear from them.

I had the idea on Saturday that I want to do one more between the Flying Pig and Chicago/Detroit so I end the year with an even 20.

It was serendipity then that on Sunday an email dropped in - spots are available, and am I still interested? My first reaction was YES! Then I started to think about it. It's Memorial Day weekend, so traffic will be crazy trying to get up north on Friday afternoon, hotel rooms either won't be available, or will be super expensive, and Bill doesn't think he can make it. Do I really want to drive myself 5 hours each way for a mini beach vacation and marathon? We're already planning a beach vacay on the summer solstice.

Then I thought about the cost. It would be $95 for the race, plus hotel, plus gas, and this just doesn't seem the year for it. Maybe next year. Enjoy running it person #84 on the waiting list :D

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness Michelle, I didn't even know that they had a waiting list. SO that is good to know. I wanted to run it also but a NO here to. Well maybe next year we will be running it together!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can pace me :) haha j/k wouldn't want to add an hour+ to your finishing time

      Delete
  2. Yes, I've wanted to do this one too, but it sells out so fast! And I am super jealous you are doing the Flying Pig. I'm dying to do this race but work keeps conflicting. Hopefully next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Pig is great! Try to fit it in some year. You'll have fun :)

      Delete