Tuesday, June 10, 2014

And we're off!

It's Tuesday, also known as the start of my Chicago marathon training! The month between Cincinnati and training always goes so fast! Once again I'm using Hal's novice 2 program, the program I've used almost every time. I'm making two executive changes this time right from the get-go: (1) Thursdays are no longer an easy run of 3-5 miles, but dedicated to speed work on the treadmill, and (2) I'm going to be cognizant of my time on all runs, especially the long Saturday runs. He says to not really worry about pace so much, but when I don't worry, I wind up with 5:20s. If I can stay at 10:30 or below, I'll finally hit my 4:33 goal.

I averaged a 9:54 today, which is quite fine by me. So often when I'm nearing the end of a 3-miler, I look at Baby Carmen and see my time, then think about my 5k PR and think "Do it!!!!" Not today though. The goal is to complete my training without injury. Besides, if I'm going to PR, I'll do it at a race, not around the neighborhood :)

It's crazy to think the entire program is 71 runs. That doesn't seem like nearly enough to get ready for a marathon, but Hal knows what he's talking about. The next 18 weeks will pass in a blink of an eye. The hotel is booked and I'm ready to set a huge PR then retire.*
Can't wait to join this mob scene again!!!!! Best race of my life!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment