Saturday, June 14, 2014

Bucket list #23 - Another step, or two?

While I was at Gettysburg, I realized I was within an hour of Harper's Ferry, West Virginia so I planned to get moving early, see the national cemetery before the battlefield tour, then run down to Harper's Ferry while I was so close. West Virginia would be another new state for me so it seemed like a great plan.

Unfortunately by the time I got there, it was pouring rain, and I couldn't really see what there was to see! I drove around a little, took a few pictures from my car, then had to drive to the next town to have lunch because I didn't see a single restaurant in HF. At 3:30 on a Friday afternoon, it was an absolute ghost town.

There is a national park in Harper's Ferry, but it was $10 to enter and given the rain, not much to see. I sure wasn't about to get out of my car and take a nature walk. Besides, I had read beforehand that the federal arsenal John Brown had raided in 1859 in his attempt to arm the slaves and incite an uprising had been burned to the ground. The city had significance during the Civil War because of its location and changed hands several times, but on a rainy day in April, there wasn't much. Ah well, another Civil War site, another state.

Town Hall
Park Headquarters - not even close to the park.
It looked closed, so I didn't get out of the car.
Historical marker from John Brown's Fort
Current location of the Appalachian Trail Conservancy 
National Historical Park. Might have been nice on a dry day :(
I snapped this photo of entering Virginia. I was in the state less than 2 minutes -
does that count as having visited the state....?

No comments:

Post a Comment