Friday, August 1, 2014

Ditching Hal

The first seven week of Hal's program went well, then came to a crashing halt when I realized I'm BORED with his program. I've used it so many times that I can recite the entire program from memory and I don't want another ten weeks of it!!! I noticed on Thursday that my bones, joints and muscles all felt great, but I was limited cardiovascularly, so that was problematic. Running hasn't been fun the past week or two because it's soooooo boring.

So I changed it up and switched from Hal to the Hanson training method. It's going to be a huge change. On the positive side, no single run is further than 16 miles (there are four of those). On the negative - running six days a week. Individual runs are shorter, but total miles are greater. I'll see how it goes. At least it's different and has an emphasis on speed training.

I figure I'll have one of three outcomes:
(1) Run huge PR at Chicago
(2) get completely burnt out and give up on running altogether
(3) injury

Switching programs mid-way is unorthodox, but I'm not going to say it's a bad idea per se. I think even Hal would agree that the best training program is the one that works for me this year. At least it'll have variety.

No comments:

Post a Comment