Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Zen Run

Friday was another 8-mile day. I have great routes around my house, but I've done them so many times over 4 years that I'm bored with them. I debated where to drive and run - Grosse Ile? Lake Erie Metro Park? I figured Hines was still flooded, but I'm bored with that anyway. I waited until early evening so I wouldn't have to contend with the full sun then just stayed around home. I did my normal route, but in reverse and it made a huge difference!

Like every run now, the strategy was to go as slow as I needed in order to run without walking. There were 2 places I'd have to stop to cross the street at the light, so each segment was 2-3 miles. I could manage that.

It was great! I somehow got into a Zen state where it didn't hurt! I would go so far as to say I enjoyed it! There was nowhere else I'd rather be and nothing else I'd rather be doing at the time. The miles passed easily and I finished with a 10:38 average, which is just about perfect for a training run.

Now I need to figure out how I got into the mental state and duplicate it every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment