Saturday, February 21, 2015

Hitting my goal weight

Yeah, not me
Several years ago, I was biking when Les (trainer) at the Y asked me why I gained weight. I was moderately insulted, then eventually realized it was a valid question. The answer was simple - I was bored at work, so I snacked, then when my friends asked if I wanted to have a "meeting" after work (ie a drink), that was always more fun than going to the gym, or coming home alone. Since I lived alone, I generally ate while there, rather than cook for one. Over a year or two, I slowly and gradually gained weight. I knew I had gained, especially after I bought "fat pants," but I was mostly in denial about how much, because I didn't weigh myself any more.

My best friend took me to Gatlinburg for my 30th birthday and I hated looking at the pictures because they showed that my arms were round, my stomach was full, and I didn't look like me. So in May 2009 I started tracking calories with The Daily Plate and was basically glued to a computer to track every single thing I ate.

Within 8-9 months, I had lost about 25 pounds - I know where I started The Daily Plate, but I think I had lost 5 before I even started that. Then with about 5-7 pounds to go, I started getting lazy with tracking, and making decision more based on what tasted good than on what was good for me.

I fluctuated within 2-10 pounds of my goal weight for over 5 years.

This January, I finally got serious about it. The first week I "lost" 5.7 pounds in 4 days. Yeah, that wasn't sustainable. After a few weeks I "gained" 3 pounds overnight, then Bill and I went on vacation. For whatever reason, we only ate twice a day, and no snacking, but I was enjoying those meals - bacon at every breakfast nom nom nom.

I came home and didn't weigh myself. I didn't want to see everything undone! I decided Friday would be weigh-in day, and when I stepped on the scale yesterday morning, I had hit my goal weight! My scale tends to fluctuate wildly, so I moved it a few times and weighed myself about 6 times, and it was always my exact goal weight, or 0.1 - 0.5 below goal weight. Nice surprise. I was this weight when I was 26 and somehow always had this idea that with enough discipline I could be this weight at any age. I guess so :)

Ironically, even though I've been chasing this weight since 2009, I don't look any different or feel any different than I did 5 pounds ago :(

The challenge now is to maintain it and keep eating within a healthy calorie range, focused on fruits and veggies. I've been eating mostly paleo and it works, even if I really crave a piece of bread sometimes. With weekly weigh-ins, and not daily, I can have that piece of bread, just not the whole loaf!

2 comments:

  1. CONGRATS!! Michelle that is such an accomplishment. Even better you did it eating bacon. Not something to advertise too much, you will have a lot of very envious readers! I stinking LOVE bacon.
    Now I have the crave..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry!!! I didn't tell the other side of the story, which was veggie stir fry with 3 oz of flank steak every night for dinner... Thanks :)

      Delete