Saturday, March 14, 2015

Pi race PR

It was 3/14/15, moments before 9:26:53, the start of the Pi race and my watch wouldn't find satellites!!! I had turned her on 10 minutes earlier and she just kept searching and searching. The pie eaters had finished their pre-race snack, the faster wave was lining up and I was in a mini-panic! I can't run without my watch!!!!! After the first 0.3ish my watch finally found where we were, so I could self-pace a little more, but I was never entirely sure of the distance I had done, or had to go, so that was annoying, to say the least. Thankfully they had pacers for 7:00, 8:00, 9:00 and 10:00.

Cotton ladies t-shirt, very flattering fit :)
The 8:00 pacer was a foot shorter than me, had black hair pulled into a ponytail and was wearing a skirt. I called her "Fake Nita." haha I started with her and stayed on her right shoulder for the first half and it was soooooo hard! Well, in the moment I was keeping up with her, but thinking I was only half done was overwhelming and on an uphill I trailed off a little, to never see her again.

5Ks are miserable, yes? They're too long to run at max speed the whole way, but too short to settle into a comfortable "easy" pace. At least they're over quickly and I keep telling myself to suffer through the pain and it'll be over soon!

We were at Hudson-Mills MetroPark. The first 3.05 miles were on a paved trail, then the last 0.9 (3.14 miles....) was on what used to be grass. We've had great weather all week and the mountains of snow melted and quickly formed wet, sloppy mud. Ewwwww!!!! Had I known that, I would have dug out a pair of old retired shoes from the basement. Unfortunately I had worn my pretty turquoise Mizuno 18s and need to clean them after they dry out :(

Anyway, I splashed through the mud. The two timing mats at the end were farther apart than normal, and made me wonder if the first was at 3.1 miles, and the other at 3.14 miles. I stopped my watch at the first, which had me at 26:00. Had we finished on paved road, had my watch been working right the whole time, I could have broken into the 25s. Coulda, shoulda, woulda.
My official time was 26:08. In the results that were printed at the finish, I finished 7th in my age group. Once they were online, I was 8th (out of 49). Even though it was a tad longer than a 5k, I'm counting it that way, and was a PR. So far I've done three races this year and set three PRs. The pattern can't last forever, but it sure is fun while it does!


2 comments:

  1. LOL. I love it! Fake Nita, that's awesome. Michelle, I love your shirt and bling. You are just getting speedier and speedier. I love all those PR's. I really enjoy watching your running escalate.
    I love Mizunos, they are so pretty!
    I hope to see you at Rock CF!

    ReplyDelete