Thursday, April 23, 2015

6:58*

It was cold on Thursday - really really cold and windy with 100% cloud cover. For once I was thankful that Thursday has become an optional second speed day on the TM (or just garbage miles outside if I'm not feeling it).

My plan initially was to do 800m repeats, with 400m recovery breaks for one hour.

I did my mile warm up, then started the repeats. The first was at 7.0 mph (8:30). The second was at 7.1, and the third started at 7.2 and increased to 7.3.

Then I got bored with 20 minutes to go.

One of my goals for the year is to run a mile under 7 minutes. The Little Kings 1-miler is quickly approaching, so I figured I should see how my legs feel going that fast. Why not today?

Part of me thought of course I'd do a full mile. Another part of me thought just see what it feels like and get my lungs used to pumping so hard, and hang on as long as I could.

So I cranked up the TM to 8.6 mph (6:58, the "slowest" sub-7 option) and just started. The good thing about going so fast is that it's over quickly. I immediately started counting hundredths of a mile. At 23 I wanted to stop. At 33 I told myself it was 1/3 over. At 48 I could almost start counting down, rather than count up. At 75 it seemed like enough. At 80 I wasn't quitting for anything, not even my slipping feet because the treadmill didn't have enough traction.

At 1.0, I was DONE!

The real question... does it count? Yes, my body moved that fast, but it was all in response to the machine, so the TM was doing the work, while I was hanging on. First world problem.... I think yes, it counts, but with an asterisk, to be removed only when I repeat it in a race, or out in the real world. If my Garmin tracks it, that counts too.

No comments:

Post a Comment