Wednesday, April 29, 2015

May the odds be ever in your favor

Tuesday was the longest day. I felt like a little kid on Christmas Eve as I waited and waited and waited to hear from the Chicago marathon about the lottery. When the Marine Corps marathon didn't pick me, they had the decency to tell me at 6:30 am, so I didn't spend all day wondering and hoping. There was nothing from Chicago when I woke up. I had to keep telling myself that just because I started work at 7:45 didn't mean that everyone did, especially not people in the central time zone.

I waited.

And waited.

And waited.

In 2014, I got my approval at 12:20. That time came and went.

I waited some more.

Based on facebook traffic, acceptance notifications started posting just before noon.

I waited some more.

At 4 pm, I went outside to tinker with my car and try to get the battery revived after storing it all winter. I came inside at 4:14, hit "refresh" for the 785th time, and saw the magical green banner and best word: APPROVED. Wahooooooo!!!!!!!!!!

Based on further facebook traffic, the denial notifications began around 5 pm, so I was among the last 20% of people accepted.

I don't know why I was able to get through the registration debacle in 2013. I don't know why I was picked in the lottery in 2014, then be blessed with another lottery selection in 2015, but I'm so grateful. Some people entered the lottery, not sure they even wanted to do it, but I never had any doubt.

My bestie (and prayer warrior) and I call each other "Chica." We've done it since we lived together in South Quad. She's Catholic and knows the patron saints, and I had asked her on Monday night if it was frivolous to pray that I be accepted. One of the last things she texted me was "St. Sebastian [patron saint of athletes], help Chica out with Chica-go." I love it - Chica-go!!!! :D

Bill and I had talked the odds over brunch on Saturday. After the 2013 race, I assumed it would be a once and done experience, but every subsequent race further cemented how badly I want to keep doing the race. One can't put a price on 1.7 million spectators!!!! I don't have a 3:40:00 qualifying time, and I can't afford to run with a charity, so my only option is to play the lottery until I become a legacy runner, someone who has completed 5 Chicago marathons within a 10 year period.

When we did the odds on Saturday, I needed to be selected 3 times in the next 8 years, or 37.5% of the time, which are already pretty good odds. Now I need to be picked 2 times in the next 7 years, or 29%. He mentioned that if it's the last year in my 10-year span, and I've only completed it 4 times, it might be worth it to pony up the money and buy a charity spot to secure my legacy status, at least until they change that form of guaranteed entry.

I can worry about that later. For now, I'm so happy! I wore a Chicago jacket to work today. I had wanted to wear one yesterday, but I didn't want to jinx my selection, as if that's even possible.

See you at the finish line!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. YEAH!!! This is such great NEWS! I am so super stoked for you. I love the Chicago, Maybe one day I will do it again. But not Before I do MARINE corps! That one is on my bucket list. I actually didn't know that it was a lottery until I read this post. I guess I had better start trying for it next time the lottery opens,

    Again, Super Excited for YOU!!!

    ReplyDelete