Wednesday, October 28, 2015

Looking forward - First world problems

"You know you're a runner, if you have no idea what you're doing this weekend, but you know your race schedule 6 months ahead of time."

Yeah, that's me! I'm not retiring, but keeping with the theme I had this year - one spring full, one fall full if Chicago will have me again. Some shorter races here and there, depending on location and cost.

Thinking about the spring, however, I immediately ran into a first world problem. When I went to Gettysburg in 2014, I discovered they have a marathon. Researching it online, it looks fun. Runners decide if they are running for the Union or the Confederacy, then all the runners on the winning side get an extra goodie. The course goes through the battlefield - what's better than that???

Problem 1 - it's the week before Cincinnati, which has become my go-to spring race.
Problem 2 - it's the same day as Toledo. I was completely fine with skipping Toledo this year, but 2016 is the 40th anniversary and races often make a big to-do on anniversary years.

I'm not necessarily done for this year either. The Indianapolis Monumental full has sold out, and I don't feel up for the Veterans Marathon. I'll probably do the half, but I can't handle the thought of a 2-loop course on dirt roads through hurricane-force winds with very very little crowd support. It doesn't matter than it's five weeks after Chicago. My body could handle it, but my mind balks at the idea.

I also plan to break 1200 miles for the year. I have 130 to go, so that should be no problem. Maybe 1500 for next year? Is that too big of a jump? Everything is good. I'm healthy, I'm enjoying running again. Just open your eyes and see that life is beautiful :)

No comments:

Post a Comment