Saturday, April 2, 2016

Guess who's back, back again

April 1 is always the date of the Twinkie Run in Ann Arbor. It's run by Ann Arbor Active against ALS, a smaller organization that also sponsors the Electric Bolt run in the summer. I've done it the past 2 years, and it's just fun, completely irreverent. Eat a Twinkie, then start running? I don't even like Twinkies and it's still fun and funny.

It's a cheap race - $17 ahead of time, $22 last minute. The weather was good, and I just wanted to do it. I had low low low expectations. I wanted to finish and I wanted to have fun. Obviously I wore my tutu... It was cool, so I wore the rainbow striped tights as well, and received compliments the whole time on my outfit lol Several people asked if they could post my photo on their facebook pages, so I might have a picture to add here at some point. Had I thought about it, I probably would have worn my StormTrooper onesie. I swear one of these days, it's getting worn in a race!!!!

I didn't start right at the front of the line, I went a moderate pace and watched runner after runner pass me. That's ok. It was my first event post-injury and I just wanted to finish. For what it's worth, I did eat the second Twinkie mid-way. You gotta eat the Twinkies!!! Otherwise, it's just another 5k, which are a dime a dozen.

My final time was 30:37, which was faster than I had expected. When they posted the results, I thought a realistic placement would be 10th-12th. I was 10th in my age group, out of 44. It's my worst placement at this particular race, and that's ok. I felt good about the race and about my foot. Although I met someone for dinner an hour after I finished running who immediately asked "Why are you limping?" I wasn't!!!!! Denial is my coping mechanism :D

The one problem was that I wore the Hokas with thick socks and the right foot still rubbed a blister in the same spot! I need to experiment with Vaseline or BodyGlide on the next few runs.
No pint glass for me this time (top 3)
I didn't buy a shirt - orange isn't my color

No comments:

Post a Comment